Friday, November 1, 2013

Chili Tortellini

Photo by Katie Kay

I kind of love Tortellini as much as I love Ravioli.  I'm sure anyone can guess why.  They're pretty similar in really awesome ways.  You know, noodles stuffed with yummy surprises?  I found this recipe on Pinterst and was intrigued.  I've heard of putting  noodles in soup, but tortellini in chili?  Interesting.

I've made a thousand chili recipes (only a small exaggeration) and this is in the top half.  I really enjoy many types of chili and this is just another yummy one to add to my list.  I love the noodles and the simplicity of it.  Most of my favorite chili recipes need long simmer times, but this was fantastic after just 15 minutes!

The broth amount can be adjusted, and the original recipe called for boiling the noodles separately, then adding them to the pot.  I like the one-pot wonder style, plus cooking the noodles in broth with the spices seemed like a better idea to me.  You can play with this and adjust it however you like!

Photo by Katie Kay

Chili Tortellini

1 package frozen cheese tortellini
EVOO
1 onion, chopped
8 fresh garlic cloves, chopped (I know, I'm ridiculous with my garlic)
1lb ground beef
salt & pepper
1/2 tsp garlic salt
32oz chicken broth, I bought a 64oz box and used a little extra for juicyness.
1 15oz can chili beans
1 15oz can red kidney beans
15oz can Rotel
2 Tbsp cumin
2 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped

In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat EVOO then add onions and garlic.  Cook until translucent and push to the side.  Add beef and cook until browned.  Mix onions in with beef, then add all remaining ingredients, including frozen tortellini.  Chicken broth should be enough to just cover noodles, although I stirred mine frequently and pushed the tortellini down because they kept floating to the top.  Bring to a boil, then cook for 10 minutes or until tortellini is cooked and liquid is at desired level.  

I added more broth because I like it juicy.

My tortellini package said to boil for 5 minutes, but I let it all cook for 15 minutes and the tortellini was not over-cooked.

I ate these leftovers all week long, and they were phenomenal.  This is one of those recipes that gets better as it sits!

Adapted from Picky Palate

Katie Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment