Thursday, November 7, 2013

Crockpot Chicken Creole

Photo by Katie Kay

I had my eye on an Italian Chicken Soup recipe for dinner, but I foolishly read the ingredients to Matt and he vetoed it due to the coconut milk.  I allowed it.  I get to be the boss pretty much every single day when it comes to the food on our table, so I thought I'd let him have this one.  

This looked to me like a very simple recipe with few ingredients.  Sometimes that's a good thing, but mostly that just makes me distrustful.  I never trust a recipe that looks too easy.  I'm coming around on that, especially after this new marinara recipe I have (to be shared later) and I'm willing to give simplistic a try.

When I mixed this up in the crockpot, it looked fairly dry.  I wasn't sure where all the juice in the original poster's picture was going to come from, but it really pulled together in the end!  Just put it in the crockpot and walk away.  Don't hover and stress like I did.

For added depth of flavor, I used 4 different cajun seasonings and 1 creole seasoning.  I've just heard that the more variety, the better the depth in flavor.  Since we have annual crawfish boils, we always have a ton of seasonings in our kitchen!  If you only have 1, that's fine.  Don't go buy 4 bottles of cajun spice just for this recipe.  Spice acquisition like that only comes with time. :)


Crockpot Chicken Creole

1 1/2lbs chicken (I used frozen breasts)
2Tbsp Cajun or Creole seasoning
14.5oz can stewed tomatoes
1 stalk celery, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
6 cloves fresh garlic, diced
8oz sliced fresh mushrooms
1 fresh jalapeno, diced
salt and pepper, to taste

White rice, prepared according to directions

Combine all ingredients in a crockpot.  Cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low 6-8 hours.  Using 2 forks, shred chicken and stir well.  Serve over white rice.

Source:  Diabetic Connect

Katie Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment