Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake

Photo by Katie Kay

I like Chicken Cordon Bleu, but I have an irrational fear of wrapped/stuffed meats.  Maybe not the meats themselves because that's a step past irrational and borderline insane, but my fear is of making them.  I don't pound meat, I don't wrap stuff in it, and I don't roll it either.  Since I believe all of this is required for actual Chicken Cordon Bleu, this recipe seemed ideal for a meat-pounding hater like me. :)

This was crazy-easy to put together, and it was really a perfect weeknight dinner.  People love to claim "30-minute meals" but sometimes I think that's only if you're on The Food Network and you're starting with a spotless kitchen, all your food pre-measured and pre-chopped, and a behind-the-scenes cooking staff to help you with the menial work.  All of which I happen to be lucky enough to have, but YOU probably don't.

So this is for real, a legit 30-minute meal.  Except for the 40-minute baking time.  Crap.  So it's not legit.  But you can unchain yourself from the stove and help your kids with homework while it bakes.

Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 box Stove Top chicken stuffing mix
2 Tbsp Honey Dijon Mustard
2 cans Cream of Chicken Soup
1 bag pre-washed broccoli florets (about 2-3 cups)
1 7.5 container Oscar Meyer Carving Board ham (no, I'm not plugging a brand.  I just love it!)
16oz sliced swiss (yes, it seems like too much...if you hate cheese.)

Prepare stuffing mix according to box directions.

Lightly brown salt and peppered chicken breasts on both sides in a lightly oiled skilled.  As oil cooks away and it stops splattering at you, use a knife and cut chicken into bite-sized pieces as if you were my dad and liked really big bites of stuff.  Especially if these "bites" were of one of your daughters' candy bars.

Add a little more oil and toss chicken around pan until outsides are no longer pink.  I used my Napa Valley Chili Extra Virgin Olive Oil because I love it and I think it goes with anything.

In a bowl, combine soup and mustard.  Toss in broccoli and ham.  At this point, it might seem a little dry.  I was tempted to add another can of soup, but I wanted to give the recipe author the benefit of the doubt.  I'm glad I left it alone, because somehow when it bakes, moisture magically appears and everything cooks down.

Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray then add broccoli mixture.  Cover with cheese, then top with stuffing mix.

Bake at 375 for 40 minutes.

Source:  Kraft Recipes
Katie Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment