Friday, June 19, 2015

Mississippi Roast

Photo by Katie Kay

At 3 minutes of prep time, this Mississippi Roast is hands-down the fastest prep recipe in my entire collection.  Kaylen timed me with an actual stopwatch from start to finish.  I started with a clear counter, although to be fair I knew exactly where everything was in the pantry.  No time was wasted rummaging!  I felt like I was on a shopping spree though.  I don't think I've ever unwrapped a 3lb slab of meat so quickly.

The first time I made this, Matt raved and raved about it.  I've made numerous roasts before using a wide variety of recipes and this one was absolutely amazing in flavor.  So tender, delicious, and juicy! 

Photo by Katie Kay
Drop it all in the Dutch oven and walk away.  Walk away!!

Although I profess to love cooking soooo much, even I lack motivation sometimes.  I mean, how easy is it to order Chinese delivery or a pizza?  My free time is precious to me, and I don't always choose to spend it in the kitchen.  This is an ideal recipe for a Saturday or Sunday because it takes 3 hours in the oven--not ideal for a school night.

I prefer serving this with mashed potatoes, but I have a crazy-easy recipe for that, too!  I think I should write a cookbook for the ridiculously lazy chef.  If you're picky about mashed potatoes, this may not work for you.  But I'm an easy mashed potato-lover.  Skins, no skins, chunks, no chunks...none of that makes a difference to me.

I love these mashed potatoes because they are easy and don't dirty any dishes other than a pot and a potato masher.  No dirty mixer bowl for me!
Photo by Katie Kay

Mississippi Roast

3lb chuck roast
1 cup water
1 package dry Au Jus gravy mix
1 package dry Ranch mix
1 stick butter
1 jar sliced pepperoncinis, drained

Preheat oven to 275.  In a Dutch Oven, pour 1 cup water.  Place roast in water, then sprinkle dry mixes over roast.  Do not stir!  Drop a stick of butter on top of the roast, then place your pepperoncinis around the meat.  I've used 1/2 jar of pepperoncinis before, and I didn't think it was enough.  We like them in every bite!  This time I used a whole jar.

Place in oven and cook for 3 hours.  Serve with mashed potatoes (below.)

Recipe inspired by TableForTwoBlog.com

********************

Easy Mashed Potatoes

2-3 lbs gold potatoes
1 stick butter
salt and pepper to taste

Wash and quarter potatoes.  Place in a pot of water and boil until soft, about 15 minutes.  Drain, and leave potatoes in pot.  Put butter in pot and cover with lid.  After about 5 minutes butter should be soft.  With a potato masher, mash potatoes and butter together until desired consistency is achieved.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  

Recipe by KatieKay'sKitchen.com
Katie Kay

1 comment:

  1. It's so fun when I can convert your recipes to gluten free. I know I can do this! -Aunt Sharon

    ReplyDelete